Message from our neighbourhood police team…
We’ve seen an increase of catalytic converter thefts in Solihull. Most cars have catalytic converters, which are stolen for the value of the metal or are illegally re-sold.
The simplest way to prevent catalytic converter theft is to park in a garage if you have one or park in a well-lit busy area.
You could also:
– Speak to your manufacturer’s main dealer regarding security products available for your vehicle
– Mark catalytic converters with a uniquely coded security product specifically designed for marking catalytic converters, and display the warning stickers supplied
– Take manufacturers’ advice, but consider fitting a protection device made specifically to cover the catalytic converter (one product such as http://catloc.co.uk/ which isn’t third party tested, but is used widely by vehicle manufacturers)
– Use your vehicle’s alarm or install a Thatcham approved alarm. The alarm should detect and activate if the vehicle is tilted or lifted
– Park vehicles so as to prevent access underneath although this may be difficult in certain circumstances, and we realise is not always an option
For more information on vehicle crime prevention please visit the West Midlands Police website